On November 20, 2012, the new 669 area code may be assigned to those who request a new telephone number or an additional telephone line, as well as any available numbers in the 408 area code.Residents and businesses with telephone numbers within the 408 area code will retain their current telephone number(s) and area code. Consumers requesting new or additional telephone numbers (or telecommunications services) may be assigned telephone numbers with either the new 669 area code or the original 408 area code, depending on available telephone number inventory. Consumers will still be able to dial three digits to reach 911, 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 and 811.To prepare for the area code overlay, residents and businesses in the 408 region should:
- Begin dialing 1 + area code + telephone number for all calls.
- Notify alarm service providers.
- Reprogram equipment.
- Advise family, friends, and business contacts to dial 1 + area code + telephone number for all calls.
- Ensure that security door and gate systems are reprogrammed to dial 1 + area code + telephone number.
- Update items such as stationery; checks; business cards; advertisements; promotional items; brochures; Internet web pages; and catalogs to reflect the 1 + area code + telephone number change.
For more information: 10-Digit Area Code Change