Meeting customer needs in today’s demanding marketplace requires flexible and agile customer service solutions. Microservices are a way to increase speed and flexibility in getting new innovations to customers. With microservices, you can more easily adapt to the changing customer requests and demands, as well as offer services that create a competitive edge.
Microservices have emerged over the last few years as a way of designing software applications as suites of independently deployable services. The essential idea behind them is to break down traditional, monolithic applications into many small pieces of software that talk to each other to deliver the same functionality.
While microservices cover a broad category, there are certain common characteristics including organization around business capability, automated deployment, and decentralized control.
Microservices allow for faster innovation and great scalability, while allowing businesses to be more agile, because teams can work independently and drive productivity. Enterprises which have a need for agility in their services can benefit from the application of microservices in cloud architecture, as their speed and dexterity are particularly suited to small business functions. A currency conversion service is an example of an application of microservices, or an e-commerce shopping cart.
The advantages of microservices for service-centric businesses include:
- Channel-agnostic: Microservices make it easier to add new contact channels as the need arises. You can start with the ones that are essential to your business today and add new ones when you and your customers need them.
- Infinite elasticity: Microservices are built on cloud platforms, so you can start small and scale up as your business grows. You don’t need to worry about the technology limiting your future growth—it will grow with you.
- Resolve once, share with many: Customers expect consistent customer service over time and across all channels. Microservices make the needed levels of consistency easy, allowing central data stores of answers to carry across whichever channels your customers like to use.
- Performance increase: Powerful and rapidly scalable cloud platforms make it easier to maintain high performance, even during peak seasons.
- Access to resources: Microservices use a common data store, which make it easier to access the relevant data whenever needed.
- Cost savings: Customer service is a core business investment. With scalable cloud platforms, companies can avoid excess investments and save costs. The increased speed of innovation also means customers get new features and enhancements faster.
If you would like to learn more about the advantages of microservices and their applications for your business, please reach out to our team at Advantel.